Follow Me

3/30/10

Kids, Kids, Kids

David came in from playing outside today to get some money to pay someone to be his friend. I really don't like bullies.I had a talk with David and then with the boy's aunt. Apparently the same thing is happening to the boy at school. Did I mention I don't like bullies?

I grew up as the outsider, geek, and/or all the other names associated with not being a part of the "in" crowd and I really don't want my son to go through all the things I did. It sucks there has to be a cool kid and a not so cool kid instead of just people. David is the sweetest kid you'll ever meet and I'm not just saying that because he's my son although I must say I am biased. He'll do anything to please anyone...he just likes to see everyone happy. He's so shy and sensitive though. I've got to do some things to help build his confidence.

♥ SailorWifey

3 comments:

L said...

Happened to me as a kid and You know what? My oldest is 15 and he was so like that and the older he got the more kids seemed to flock to him because they realized who the good one was. It also helped that he was taller than most kids in his class but people think he is the nicest guy and it will shine through as he grows. I promise!

SailorWifey said...

:)Thanks! I just get nervous b/c it affected me horribly. I tried to commit suicide a few times over the years, etc. I'm sure my negative home life as a child had something to do with me ending up bipolar and crazy, but it doesn't make me any less scared for my boys, kwim. I just pray I'm doing a good job and they'll grow up to be wonderful successful men.

♥ SailorWifey

Makeup Mama said...

It's good that you spoke to the boy's aunt. I mean, what else can we do as parents to help these kids change and break that chain? Your little man sounds like such a sweet boy and I hope that everything works out.

I remember in elementary school I wasn't really in the "in" crowd but I wasn't really considered an outcast but I had moments where I felt like one. When I got to high school and became a "popular" girl, I never forgot what it felt like to feel out of place, so I always tried to be conscious and tried to be friends with everyone. I don't want to think about when my kids get to school and having to deal with that. I agree with letting people be people and not categorizing them into levels of "coolness". Why can't we base coolness on how kind people are?